Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving update!

Hello everyone!  I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving yesterday.  I certainly did!  The day was so jam-packed busy, I don't even know where to start!  Well, I'm sure you probably don't want to read all the details about cleaning my house and washing a million dishes, but I'll cover the highlights!

We set up our Christmas tree, and Little L. was BESIDE HERSELF excited!  She kept going "wowwwww!!!!!" and she got all the ornaments out of the box, arranged them and sorted them on the floor, and then was beyond thrilled to help put them on the tree.  She found a train one, and it has yet to go on the tree....she keeps driving it around the floor going "choo choo!"

Olá gente!  Espero que todos tiveram um feliz Ação de Graças ontem.  Eu tive!  O dia foi tão cheio e corrido que nem sei onde começar!  Bem, acho que vocês não gostariam de ler todos os detalhes de como limpei a casa e lavei um milhão de louças, mas falarei das melhores partes!

Montamos nossa árvore de Natal, e Little L. estava TÃO animada!  Ela ficou olhando, apontando, e dizendo "uauuuu!!!!!" e ela tirou todos or ornamentos da caixa e organizou eles no chão, e depois ficou mais animada ainda que ela podia ajudar a colocá-los na árvore.  Ela achou um ornamento de um trenzinho, e até agora não foi parar na árvore....ela fica brincando com ele no chão dizendo "choo choo!"


 The afternoon was spent cooking (we didn't have dinner until around 7pm) and rearranging the house.  We took our couch out and put it on our front porch, shoved our table up against the wall, and opened up the whole space to be able to shove together a few plastic tables, which would be our big Thanksgiving table.  The turkey took almost twice as long as it was supposed to, so we ended up running a little late with dinner.  It worked out okay; we played some games until it was dinner time.  The people who came were enthralled with Little L., and she loved all the attention.  She spent the whole time showing off the Christmas tree and running around giggling and squealing.  Our guests included four of my current students, and two people who became my students during the activity!

Passamos a tarde cozinhando (o jantar não foi servido até depois das 19h) e reorganizando a casa.  Tiramos nosso sofá e deixamos ele na varanda, encostamos a mesa no balcão, e abrimos o espaço para juntar as mesas de plástico, para ser nossa mesa grande de Thanksgiving.  O peru demorou quase 2 vezes o tempo esperado para cozinhar, então atrasamos um pouco o jantar.  Mas deu tudo certo; tivemos algumas brincadeiras até terminar tudo.  As pessoas que vieram se apaixonaram por Little L., e ela adorou a atenção.  Ela passou o tempo todo mostrando a árvore de Natal a todo mundo e correndo para lá e para cá, dando risada e gritando de alegria.  Nossos convidados foram 4 dos meus alunos atuais, e mais 2 que se tornaram alunas durante o evento!

I won't say it was perfect, because it wasn't.  My dinner rolls didn't end up happening because I ran out of flour right in the middle of the recipe and had no more time to run and get some more.  Husband was on a table run, picking up tables for us to use, so I couldn't even ask him to run to the store!  The turkey took a long time, the music wasn't as perfect as I was hoping (it was Christmas music though, so that's gotta count for something!).  Even though it wasn't perfect, it was my kind of perfect.  Before we served ourselves dinner, we all said three things we were grateful for, I told them about the history of Thanksgiving in the USA, and some of my family's traditions, and Husband said a prayer of thanksgiving and blessing on the food.  It was the perfect Thanksgiving for this year, and even with the craziness, I wouldn't change a thing!

Não direi que foi perfeito, porque não foi.  Meus pãezinhos não aconteceram porque acabou a farinha de trigo no meio da receita, e não tive mais tempo para ir comprar mais.  Husband estava buscando as mesas, então não pude nem pedir para ele correr ao mercado rapidinho.  O peru demorou demais, a música não foi tão perfeita como eu esperava (mas foi música de Natal, então isso deve valer alguma coisa!).  Mesmo com todas as imperfeições, foi o meu tipo de perfeito.  Antes de nos servir, todo mundo falou 3 coisas pelas quais são gratos, eu contei a história de Thanksgiving nos EUA, e algumas tradições da minha família.  Husband fez uma oração de gratidão e uma bênção na comida.  Foi o Thanksgiving perfeito para esse ano, e mesmo com a loucura, eu não mudaria nada!

Everyone who was there (except Husband!)....yes, I am actually in this picture with Little L.!
Todo mundo que estava presente (menos Husband!)....sim, eu saí na foto com Little L.!

I forgot to take a "before" picture, so here's looking at the leftovers (aka, lunch the next few days)
Esqueci de tirar uma foto "antes", então aqui vai o que sobrou (ou seja, almoço durante os próximos dias)

So that was Thanksgiving, in a nutshell.  We are skipping December for another conversation class, but stay tuned for the flier for January!

Então, aí foi Thanksgiving, resumido.  Vamos pular o evento de conversação em dezembro, mas fiquem atentos para o anúncio para a aula de conversação de janeiro!

On a more personal note, I just wanted to say how grateful I am for a Husband who supports me in everything I am doing.  Back in college, when Husband and I decided we'd get married and live down here, a lot of my friends and colleagues asked me what I planned to do in Brazil.  I always laughed and told them I'd have babies and teach English.  I never imagined that I'd essentially start a home business that just keeps growing (without even trying, really), and that I'd really enjoy teaching English.  I love it, and even though I am exhausted by the end of the day, I wouldn't change it.  I feel like I am doing something to help my family, and to help all my students and friends.  And Husband has been by my side through it all, supporting me, cheering me on, and encouraging me to keep putting myself out there, building up my reputation and always looking for new things to do for my students.  He has been by my side 100%, and especially in the last year when things have REALLY picked up.  And I am so grateful for Little L. being so patient with all my classes!  She loves my students, and even though this is the only thing she's ever known (Mommy teaching classes at home, I mean), she is a really good sport about it, even on really busy days when I can't play with her as much as we'd both like.  My family is everything, and I am so grateful for them.  And along with that, I am grateful for my STUDENTS, who understand that sometimes my attention is split between them and Little L., and yet they still keep coming back!  They are wonderful people, and I feel privileged to be their teacher. 

Agora falando mais pessoal, eu só queria dizer o quanto sou grata por meu Husband que me apoia em tudo que estou fazendo.  Quando eu estava na faculdade, quando Husband e eu decidimos que iríamos casa e morar aqui no Brasil, muitos amigos e colegas meus me perguntaram o que eu faria no Brasil.  Eu sempre dava risada e respondia que eu teria bebês e ensinaria inglês.  Eu nunca imaginei que eu basicamente abriria um negócio em casa que está crescendo mais e mais (sem muito esforço, na verdade), e que eu acabaria gostando muito de ensinar inglês.  Eu amo isso, e mesmo que eu esteja totalmente exausta no final do dia, eu não o mudaria.  Sinto que estou ajudando minha família, e ajudando meus alunos e amigos.  E Husband está ao meu lado o tempo todo, me apoiando e encorajando, sempre me ajudando a melhorar e ver coisas novas que posso fazer para meus alunos.  Ele está ao meu lado 100% desde o início, e principalmente no último ano, quando as coisas cresceram muito.  E também sou tão grata por Little L., por ela ser tão paciente com todas minhas aulas!  Ela adora meus alunos, e mesmo que essa seja a única vida que ela conhece (Mommy dando aulas em casa, quero dizer), ela está muito tranquila, mesmo nos dias mais corridos quando não posso brincar com ela o quanto nós gostaríamos.  Minha família é tudo, e sou tão grata por eles.  E mais sobre isso, sou grata por meus ALUNOS, que entendem que às vezes minha atenção está dividida entre eles e Little L., e mesmo assim ainda voltam!  São pessoas incríveis, e sinto privilegiada por ser sua professora!

No comments:

Post a Comment