Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The return of the poofs

Back when my brothers and I were kids, my dad used to put baby powder in his sneakers.  Totally normal, right?  Well, let me explain a little further.  He had holes in the toes of one particular pair of sneakers, and always put just a little too much baby powder in them.  So when he walked for the first few minutes, tiny poofs of baby powder would come out the fronts.  This quickly turned into a family joke, and a good family friend who has an incredible talent for writing and making us laugh turned it into a monthly comic strip for our family newsletter at the time.  We still read those and laugh so hard we cry.

How it all began....


Today was one of those days.

One of those toddler days.

You know, those days you see pictures of and read blogs about, but you never actually see in real life.

We are trying to teach Little L. that after lunch, everybody needs quiet time.  I have been especially tired lately, so when she actually falls asleep during Quiet Time, sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a catnap in too.  When she doesn't fall asleep, it's a constant battle of "Go back to your room!" and her trying to get out before we say she can.  I keep hoping it will get better and easier.

Yesterday she was pretty quiet, even though she didn't sleep, and I ended up taking a nap.  When I woke up, the house was in order, nothing was broken, and she was content playing quietly by herself in the living room.

Today, after not hearing her for a while, I just figured I'd be able to take another quick nap.  And I did. I heard her off in the distance, but she was quiet again.  Not too quiet, to be suspicious, but quiet while playing with some toys I recognized the sounds of.  No problem.  I woke up to her taking pictures of me sleeping (yes, she got ahold of the camera.....that should have been the first sign of trouble). So I took the camera away, and realized something was wrong....there was some clay stuck in a few crevices.  Then I realized a thin white film covering it.  And then realized that same white film was covering Little L.'s nose...and face...and in her hair...and all over her clothes....suddenly I was up, realizing that disaster had struck while I was in dreamland.

I followed the white trail out of my room and found piles in the living room.  On the floor, on the couch, on the TV stand, in her snack bowl, in a water bottle, mixed with her clay.

I kept following the trail (no, it didn't stop there).  Her room was like a white snowy explosion.

The kitchen was a little less white, but there were toddler footprints all over the place.

ALL.  OVER.  THE.  HOUSE.

Like...even in the fan.  And the electrical sockets.  And the doors and walls.  And in the snot running down Little L.'s face (she has a cold).  Under the couches.  On the baseboards.  Smeared on the glass door.  On the bathroom sink board.  In her bed.

I ordered her to the bathroom and told her to strip down to her diaper.  I had no idea where to begin.  First I picked up the baby powder bottle....yeah, it was totally empty. 

YOU GUYS.  I HAD JUST CLEANED THE HOUSE THIS MORNING.

Also, you'd think baby powder would be easier to clean up from tile than from carpet.  IT'S NOT.  It's impossible on any surface.  First I swept.  Then I mopped.  Then when the floor dried, I realized....there was still a ton on the floor.

So I tossed some of Little L.'s toys in the shower, and put her in there too, with the order that she was to clean the toys.  Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone....she needed a shower too, and she'd get one while she cleaned the toys.  Meanwhile, I stripped her bed and tossed all that in the wash.  Then I took some time to try to regroup, while she was playing merrily in the shower.  

Not gonna lie...I was mad.  I was so mad.  You'd think the house would smell good after all that....but I learned that baby powder in large quantities is overpowering and smells terrible.  I opened all the windows and doors, and even that didn't get rid of the smell.

Anyway, I got over it and am already laughing about it.  There's still baby powder residue in the living room that I'll deal with tomorrow with the daily sweep.  My students got a good laugh out of this tonight.

But hey, two things came out of this:

One....one of my first thoughts was "at least it isn't poop!!!"

And two....Little L. has taken the poofs to a new level.  So I guess we have a new family champion!!

1 comment: