Monday, August 21, 2017

The Greatest Love Story I've Ever Heard (part 4...getting married!!)

Continued from parts 1 (how we met), 2 (the real beginning), and 3 (visa stuff....and waiting)


Our first plan was actually to get married in the States.  But when we started looking into the fiancé visa, we gave up on that idea.  There was no way we could afford all that.  So we decided to get married in Brazil, where I wouldn't have to get a new visa.  I could get married on my tourist visa (totally legally, no questions asked), and then change my visa to a permanent one after the wedding. 

The Paperwork
In the end of 2013, we looking into all the paperwork necessary for that.  I would need a ton of paperwork, documents, etc, all authenticated by the Brazilian Consulate in the States and then translated by an official translator here in Brazil.  It was a lot of work, but still WAY less than it would have been had we gotten married in the USA.  So I got all my paperwork together.  My parents helped me, since I was still off in Utah finishing up school (I wouldn't finish until mid-June, and then I had a ticket to move to Brazil for July 4), and I was working through the Boston Consulate.  Over Christmas break I was able to get a bunch of it done, running around the state like a crazy person.  Anyway, a few months before the wedding, we sent it all down to Best Friend, so that he'd have plenty of time to get it translated and then start the process to get a marriage license.  I even wrote a letter authorizing his mom to stand in and sign for me to start the process.  Well, the first batch got to him.  The second one never made it...

When I got back to my parents' house for a couple weeks after finishing college, I ran around like a crazy person again to get the half of the paperwork (AGAIN) that hadn't made it down to Best Friend yet.  I would just bring it with me and we'd start the marriage license process as soon as I got here.  He had already gotten a translator for the other half of the paperwork, and fortunately she was very willing to work with us.  She had me scan and email her the rest of the paperwork, and she translated it.  When we picked it up, we just showed her the originals so she could sign off on it.  We should have known that this was the beginning of an INSANE month before our wedding!

Our wedding date was set for July 24.  About a month before that, Best Friend signed a contract to rent our house, where I'd live by myself before our wedding.  He had ordered some of our furniture; the rest we'd buy together when I got there.  I left the States on July 4 (Happy Independence Day!), arriving here the next day.  It was a Saturday when I got here, so there wasn't much we could do for the paperwork until Monday.  On the way back from the airport, though, we stopped at the party planner's house and just went over all the details.  It was all fine by me....like I said before, we are simple people and didn't want a lot of extravagance.  It was going to be a relatively small wedding.  I moved into our house...we had a bed, a wardrobe, a stove, kitchen cabinets, and a kitchen table and chairs. That's it!  Over the next couple weeks we got the rest of what we needed...couch, fridge, food, cleaning supplies, etc.  We also moved Best Friend's stuff from his parents' house to ours over the next few weeks.

Monday we picked up our translated paperwork, and Tuesday (July 8) we went to city hall to get the marriage license.  That ended up being an all-day process.  Best Friend had a very good boss at the time and was willing to work with him coming and going all day, because he had to sign different parts.  I still had no idea what was going on, as I'd never really dealt with any of this type of stuff in Brazil.  I didn't realize it would be so complicated.  Anyway, there was one major complication: It would take AT LEAST 30 days to get our marriage license.  We had two weeks.  We told the ladies at city hall (who were EXTREMELY helpful, so much so that we still go see them just to say hi!) that our wedding was planned for the 24th, and we'd be leaving town the next day and couldn't change the wedding date.  They offered several suggestions, none of which would be conducive to our standards, which we also explained.  They were very understanding and in the end told us that if we knew someone who knew someone who knew someone, we could probably get the license in 15 days.  

I didn't know ANYONE, of course, being new in town.  Fortunately for us, Best Friend's mom knows everyone!  While Best Friend went back to work for a bit, she and I went across town to visit a lawyer friend.  We explained the situation to him, and he was more than willing to help.  He even knew the right person, and said he'd talk to him the next day!  So the next few days were kind of crazy.  We found an error on the announcement and had to return to city hall to fix that (it had my father as being Brazilian!).  Our lawyer friend talked to his connections and got everything squared away so that we'd get the license in time.  But that doesn't mean we weren't still worried about it!

Over the next couple weeks leading up to the wedding, we scrambled to deliver invitations, get our house in order and Best Friend's stuff moved in.  My mom was able to come down for the wedding, which was awesome!  She got here two days beforehand, so we were able to show her around town a little bit, but mostly she ended up being the seamstress to fix all the dress problems that a few family members had!  She didn't mind, though; my mom is awesome. 

The Wedding
July 24, 2014 was a crazy awesome day.  Best Friend's mother picked up our marriage license just a couple hours before the wedding.  His dad picked up one of his best friends from the airport just a few hours before the wedding.  Mom and I were mostly just at home finishing up some sewing details.  And I didn't really have much to do.  So I just hung out.  And packed for Recife and Fortaleza.

Before continuing, let me explain something.  In our Church, we believe that marriages and families can be forever....we don't believe that the limit is "til death do us part".  In order for a marriage to be eternal, it must be realized in one of our Temples, by someone who has authority from God to do so.  In the USA, this Temple marriage is counted as the civil marriage.  In Brazil, the civil marriage is separate, so we had to get married civilly before we could be married (sealed) in the Temple the next day.

I was scheduled to get my hair and makeup done at 4pm, to be ready for our wedding at 7pm.  I am a punctual person, and had made it very clear that I didn't want to be late to my own wedding, even if that was the "tradition".  Things don't always go according to plan, though..........

When I arrived at 4pm, there were still a few people ahead of me to be done.  So I had to wait.  Fortunately for everybody, myself included, I was NOT anxious or nervous or anything of the sort.  I just wanted to be on time, and I saw that slipping away, so I was annoyed for a moment....until I just let it go.  Just go with it, right?


In the end, I arrived at the venue just before 9pm.  !!!!!!!!!!!!! Our wedding began just a few minutes later.  I found out later that Best Friend had arrived just a few minutes before me, so that's a relief.  He was apparently a nervous wreck, too. ;)


The ceremony was wonderful, magical, unforgettable.  It was better than I had always dreamed.  Because my dad couldn't be there, my wonderful mom walked me down the aisle, which is something special that I will never forget.  



The wedding was beautiful.  It was in the same place we had our reception, so as soon as the ceremony was over, we got to talk to everyone, dance, eat, eat cake, and just enjoy being together and with everyone who was there.  We had about 75 people present, and it was perfect.  Oh, and WE GOT MARRIED!! 


Everything finally wrapped up around 1am.  Our wedding planner did everything, so we had no worries there.  We just helped with cleanup and then headed back to our house.

The Wedding Night (don't worry, it's G-rated)
We got back to our house with my mom around 1:30am or so.  Mom hung out on the couch and snoozed, and we hung out on the living room floor and opened presents.  It was pointless to sleep; we'd be going to the airport in less than 2 hours.  HUSBAND (!!!!!!) went back to his parents' house to finish packing up a couple things, during which time I took a shower and washed out the gallon of hairspray from my hair.  There was so much hairspray, I'm pretty sure I could've gone weeks without washing my hair and no one would notice, because it would be exactly the same as it was at the wedding.  Anyway, the taxi came to get us around 3am, and Mom and Husband and I headed to the airport.  Mom had a flight to Recife earlier than ours.  Husband's parents got there a couple hours later, and we were all on the same flight to Recife.  We found Mom there, perfectly content in the airport, waiting for us.  Turns out, she'd bumped into a few American missionaries there, so she had people to talk to while she waited!

The Sealing
We all left for the Temple and had most of the day to rest or do whatever we wanted.  Our sealing ceremony wasn't until 7pm.  I tried to sleep, and even though I was exhausted (it was now Friday, and I hadn't slept since Wednesday night), I couldn't get to sleep.  I was too excited.  Husband and I walked around the gardens a bit, just talking and enjoying our time together.  

The sealing was wonderful.  I can't even put it into words.  If the civil ceremony the day before was amazing, the sealing was 100 times better.  It is an indescribably good feeling knowing that we were going to be together FOREVER, not just for this life on earth.  This truly was the beginning of a wonderful journey together. 

The next day, we walked around and took some pictures in the garden.  Husband's parents had to head back home, so we spent the rest of the day with Mom and some friends around Recife, before Husband and I left for our honeymoon in Fortaleza. 

We got to spend a week in Fortaleza, which we learned is an absolutely beautiful city!  We chose Fortaleza for our honeymoon because it was a city neither of us had been to, and it just sounded like fun!  So why not??  We got to see some of the beautiful beaches, enjoy the boardwalk each evening, dodge time-share-package-vendors by telling them (in English) that we didn't speak Portuguese, go sailing on a schooner, and just relax before starting our life together in the real world.  We definitely want to go back some day!
Obviously we had to check out some local geology (I had read about it beforehand, but never thought we'd actually get to see it!!)

Watching the schooners at sunset

The end of the beginning...

And that, my friends, is the beginning of the Greatest Love Story I've Ever Heard.  I a still living this greatest love story.  These first three years of marriage have been absolutely amazing, more wonderful than I could have ever imagined or dreamed.  In telling this story, I have realized that I lack the words and creativity to truly express everything we have been through and everything I think and feel, but there will be future posts to expound on some parts (the long-distance part, and the visa stuff, specifically) of this story that I had to leave out for now.  Stay tuned for more!

Oh, and a funny note.  Remember that lost paperwork?  We got it finally when we returned fro our honeymoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment