Sunday, August 27, 2017

Going to Church Used to Inspire Me

Hey Moms and Dads who go to Church (any church), did your spiritual life take a nosedive after becoming parents??

I found an old blog I used to write on, and I have been reading through my old posts the last few days.  I used to have some pretty interesting things to say!  Now it seems like my inspiring thoughts have ceased, and instead my head is filled with the latest mess to clean up off the floor (last night, Little L. projectile vomited the entire contents of her stomach riiiiiiiight as she was falling asleep.  This morning, she got ahold of and opened the cinnamon....and decided the floor was a good place to sprinkle half of it.  The kitchen still smells like cinnamon...).  Not just the messes, but the never-ending piles of laundry (I swear, there are more than 3 people living here), the dishes that are never done, and the frequent thought of "what's the point of even cleaning my house anymore?"

Yeah, not so inspiring.  Or uplifting.

Sundays are still great days; they are still different from the rest of the week.  I don't let myself get stressed out about the house, I don't think about work or laundry or cleaning the bathroom.  I do, however, miss coming home from Church feeling renewed and like I learned a ton in my 3 hours at Church.  Ever since Little L. became more active and less cooperative with sitting quietly on my lap, I had been secretly looking forward to when she would be 18 months old, so she could spend 2 hours in Nursery, and I could pay attention for those two hours!  Well, that came and went.  She doesn't stay in nursery by herself yet....she did one time, and it was great!  But I find I still have a hard time concentrating, even if I am not running around like a frazzled mom after a very active toddler.

I'm not sure what all I can do about it.  I have talked to other moms, and realized that I am not alone in my dilemma.  I even mentioned to one that sometimes I feel like...what's the point in even staying at church after the first hour??  She agreed that she feels that way sometimes, too.

What's the point?  Even if I don't feel like I am learning something every minute of the 3 hours I am at church, I have realized that I am setting an example.  I am teaching Little L. that Church is important.  That Church is a priority.  It's not even an option to go home and just play instead of trying to get through 3 hours of Church on Sunday mornings.  And that is more important than anything I need to learn right now.  Because my life is not about me anymore.  Now it is about teaching this small person about what is right and wrong.  And going to Church, learning about God, Jesus, and the Gospel....that is what we do on Sundays, because it is what God has asked of us.

I suppose that when I came to this realization, my personal study at home became more valuable to me, because it is where I need to learn things for me and my family, that maybe I don't get the chance to anymore (for now) on Sundays, because I am busy teaching my little daughter how to be a disciple of Christ.

At least, I hope that's the example I am setting for her.  I try, and I fail a lot, but I really try.  It melts my heart every time she sees a picture of Jesus, and gets all excited and says "JESUS!", then hugs the picture, as if hugging her very best friend.  And when she brings out our mini hymnbooks and begs for us to sing, and then sings along with us.  And when she recognizes a picture of the Temple and says "pempo".  I guess I'm doing something right.

Yeah, I guess my nosedive Sundays are really worth it.  My Little L. is learning, and that's more important than anything I could be learning right now.




Oi Mães e Pais que frequentam a igreja (qualquer igreja), a vida espiritual de vocês ficou difícil depois de serem pais?

Eu achei um blog velho que eu escrevia, e durante os últimos dias, tenho lido o que escrevi naquela época.  Eu tinha algumas coisas interessantes a dizer!  Agora parece que meus pensamentos inspiradores cessaram, e em vez deles, minha cabeça está cheia de pensamentos da bagunça mais recente para limpar (ontem à noite, Little L. vomitou tudo que estava na barriga no momento que ela ia dormir.  Hoje de manhã, ela conseguiu pegar a abrir a canela, e decidiu que o chão foi o lugar perfeito para derramar a metade.  A cozinha ainda cheira a canela!).  Não só as bagunças, mas as roupas que sempre precisam ser lavadas (juro que tem mais de 3 pessoas morando aqui), as louças que nunca acabam, e o pensamento frequente de "qual o propósito mesmo de limpar minha casa?"

Pois é, não tão inspirador.  

Os domingos ainda são dias ótimos; ainda são dias diferenciados.  Eu não me deixo estressar sobre a casa, não penso sobre trabalho, nem as roupas sujas, nem como preciso limpar o banheiro.   Mesmo assim, eu sinto falta de voltar da Igreja sentindo renovada e que aprendi um monte nas 3 horas na Igreja.  Desde que Little L. ficou mais ativa e aceitava menos ficar quietinha no meu colo, eu estava aguardando o dia que ela fizesse um ano e meio, para ela passar 2 horas na Primária (no berçário), para que eu pudesse prestar atenção durante aquelas 2 horas!  Aquele dia chegou, e até agora ela não fica sozinha no berçário (ainda).  Ela ficou, uma vez, e como foi bom!  Mas mesmo assim, eu vejo que não consigo me concentrar bem, mesmo se não estou correndo atrás de uma criancinha muito ativa.

Não sei o que posso fazer.  Já conversei com outras mães, e percebi que não estou sozinha com esse probleminha.  Eu até comentei para uma que às vezes eu sinto....qual o propósito de eu ficar depois da primeira hora??  Ela concordou que ela sente assim às vezes, também.

Qual o propósito?  Mesmo que EU não sinta que estou aprendendo algo durante cada minuto das 3 horas que estou na igreja, eu percebi que estou dando um exemplo.  Eu estou ensinando Little L. que a Igreja é importante.  Que a Igreja é uma prioridade.  Não é nem opção ir para casa e brincar, em vez de ficar as 3 horas na Igreja nos domingos.  E isso é mais importante que qualquer coisa que eu preciso aprender agora.  Porque minha vida não é mais sobre mim.  Agora é sobre ensinar essa pessoinha sobre o que é certo e errado.  E ir para Igreja, aprender sobre Deus, Jesus, e o Evangelho....isso é o que fazemos aos domingos, porque é isso que Deus pede de nós.

Eu acho que quando cheguei a essa conclusão, meu estudo pessoal em casa tornou-se mais valioso para mim, porque é onde preciso aprender as coisas para mim e minha família, que talvez eu não consiga mais aprender (por enquanto) aos domingos, porque estou ocupada ensinando minha filhinha como ser uma discípula de Cristo.

Pelo menos, espero que é esse o exemplo que estou dando para ela.  Eu me esforço, e eu falho muito, mas eu realmente tento.  Derrete meu coração todas as vezes que ela vê uma gravura de Jesus e fica animada dizendo "JESUS!", e abraça a gravura, como se estivesse abraçando seu melhor amigo.  E quando ela pega nossos hinários e pede para cantarmos, e então canta junto conosco.  E quando ela reconhece uma foto do Templo e diz "pempo".  Eu acho que estou fazendo alguma coisa certo.

Pois é, parece que meus domingos sem inspiração valem a pena.  Minha Little L. está aprendendo, e isso é mais importante do que qualquer coisa que eu poderia estar aprendendo agora. 







No comments:

Post a Comment